Anti-bacterials (including soap/detergent, hand sanitizer, antibacterial wipes, etc...) may kill 99+% of bacteria, BUT the 1% or less that's left behind creates a stronger more resistant strain of bacteria that's even more dangerous. It gets worse... The following information comes from this link: Hand Sanitizers and Antibacterial Wipes: The Dirty Truth
Triclosan is the main ingredient in most hand santizers. It weakens your immune system making it easier for you to get sick. A study from the School of Public Health at the University of Michigan shows that people exposed to Triclosan actually have a higher risk of developing allergies and asthma, which means that Triclosan is killing off your good, beneficial bacteria and allowing yeast to overgrow internally - (candida!)
Triclosan has also been shown to increase drug resistance to antibiotics and, like Bisphenol A (BPA), is an endocrine-disrupting compound because it messes with your hormones, and even worse, mirrors them. Hand sanitizers also put your thyroid at risk. And to children, who’s hormones are developing, this can spell disaster. Triclosan is actually in a myriad of personal care products, such as soaps, deodorants, toothpaste, and lotions.
Additionally, if you are in the sun a lot, you need to know that when exposed to sunlight or ultraviolet light, Triclosan converts to dioxin, which increases the risk of cancers, and reproductive problems like miscarriage, birth defects, and altering sex hormones. Dioxin is also a major ingredient in disposable diapers, tampons and menstrual pads.
3 squirts of hand sanitizer is LETHAL to a toddler! One child got severely sick from licking the sanitizer off her hands, & after tests, they found it was as if she'd consumed 120 proof alcohol! It's happening more & more. Read about this specific case at the link I provided above.
A few more links on the dangers of this stuff:
WARNING: Antibacterial Soap Linked to Major Health Threats
Hospital Warning: Antibacterial Wipes Found to Spread Super Bugs
Why Disinfectants and Antibacterials Are Overkill + 5 Health-Safe Alternatives
Do the simple time-proven thing. Use a pure soap & just wash the germs away... Like it's always been done! Or use essential oils, (which are antibacterial, antiviral, anti-fungal) & just make your own. All you need is a germ killing antibacterial blend of essential oils. It's easy, it's safe, & it smells great!
I make my own "Thieves" oil with my favorite essential oils from Plant Therapy - & mix it with purified water & a squirt of glycerine in a 4oz - 8oz spray bottle. (Just google 'Thieves oil recipe'...) You can also do it 'pump' style by mixing it with aloe vera & witch hazel, which is a little thicker. There are recipes all over the internet.
JUST GET RID OF THAT TOXIC GROCERY STORE JUNK!
Here's a recipe similar to the one I use - I got this a while back but can't remember where from. It's similar to Plant Therapy's Germ Fighter, Young Living's "Thieves" oil, & doTERRA's OnGuard.
5 drops of each of the following essential oils mixed with 6 oz. water (or the water/glycerine/aloe mixtures described above):
Lemon or Wild Orange
* Wipe doorknobs and other things touched by the public.
* Wipe dirty piano keys to clean and disinfect.
* Use to clean children's hands when traveling.
* Use on the steering wheel and gearshift of your vehicle.
* Use on public telephones to remove germs.
* Use on public computer keyboards and mice.
* Spray on hands before and after shaking hands with a lot of people.
* Spray in public restrooms on airplanes to reduce airborne bacteria.
* Carry for protection in countries with cholera, malaria or dysentery.
* Use as an air freshener for cooking odors or other unwanted smells.
* Take to the gym and spray all the equipment you use.
* Take to the supermarket and use to disinfect shopping cart handles.
* Use in the classroom for desks, tables and other items handled by children.
* Spray in your mouth and throat at first onset of cold or bronchitis.
* Spray on shower stalls and bathroom walls to disinfect and remove mold.
* Wash pesticides & chemicals off of fresh produce.
Live Without Regrets
Me at age 31
Me at age 43
My Amazon Best Seller!
Katie Garner - Chakra Art Sets